Turkey and Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium saucepan, cook sweet potatoes and garlic, covered, in enough lightly salted boiling water to cover for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; drain. Mash with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer on low speed. Gradually add milk and salt, mashing or beating to make potato mixture light and fluffy. Cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is brown, stirring to break up turkey as it cooks. Drain, if needed. Stir in zucchini, carrots, corn, and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sage, and pepper to turkey mixture; heat through. Spoon turkey mixture into a 1-1/2-quart souffle dish or casserole, spreading evenly. Spoon mashed potato mixture in mounds on turkey mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through. If desired, sprinkle with additional fresh sage before serving. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
You can use leftover mashed or sweet potatoes. Reheat 2 to 2-1/2 cups leftover mashed regular sweet potatoes in a microwave safe bowl. Cover and micro-cook on 70 percent power for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, stirring once. Use 2 cups chopped, cooked turkey for the ground turkey. Cook onion in 1 tablespoon cooking oil until tender, but not brown. Add vegetables and cook as directed. Add cooked leftover turkey with the tomato sauce; continue as directed.
Nutrition Facts(Turkey and Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie)
- Per serving:
- 268 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- 42 mg chol.,
- 824 mg sodium,
- 41 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 24 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet