- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 3 ounces smoked cheddar cheese or cheddar cheese, finely shredded (3/4 cup)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef round or ground sirloin
- 4 1/4 - 1/2 inches thick onion slices (optional)
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1/4 cup mango chutney or cranberry relish
- 1/2 cup arugula leaves* or watercress
- 1 - 2 ounces Asiago or Parmesan cheese, shaved
1. In a large bowl combine egg, bread crumbs, smoked cheddar, green onions, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and pepper. Add ground beef and mix gently. Firmly shape into four 1/2-inch-thick patties; set aside.
2. Heat a nonstick or well-seasoned grill pan on stovetop over medium-high heat until hot. Reduce heat to medium; add onion slices, if using, to grill pan. Grill for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, turning once. Remove from pan.
3. Add patties to pan. Cook for 9 to 12 minutes or until meat is done (160 degrees F), turning once.
4. Spread bottoms of hamburger buns with chutney or relish; top with arugula or watercress, patties, onion slices, if using, shaved cheese, and bun top. Makes 4 servings.
- Preheat grill according to manufacturers directions. Add onions, if using, to grill. If using a covered grill, close lid. Grill until onions are lightly browned. For covered grill, allow 5 to 7 minutes. (For open grill, allow about 10 minutes.) Remove onions. Add patties to grill. If using a covered grill, close lid. Grill until meat is done (160 degrees F). For a covered grill, allow 4 to 6 minutes. (For open grill, allow about 7 to 8 minutes per side.) Continue as directed in Step 4 above.
- Rinse arugula thoroughly, it can be gritty. Dry in a salad spinner or pat dry with paper towels before laying on burgers.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 586,
- Fat, total (g) 31,
- chol. (mg) 172,
- sat. fat (g) 14,
- carb. (g) 35,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 11,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2,
- fiber (g) 2,
- sugar (g) 5,
- pro. (g) 41,
- vit. A (IU) 534,
- vit. C (mg) 6,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 1,
- Niacin (mg) 8,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 85,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 3,
- sodium (mg) 777,
- Potassium (mg) 529,
- calcium (mg) 323,
- iron (mg) 6,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet