Cornish Game Hens with Quick Rice Pilaf
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Use kitchen shears or a long, heavy knife to cut hen in half lengthwise. Cut through the breast bone, just off center. Cut on each side of the backbone to completely remove the backbone; discard backbone. Remove and discard as much skin as you can from the hen halves.
- Place hen halves, cut sides down, in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Brush tops with oil. In a small bowl combine salt, paprika, and cumin; sprinkle evenly over hen halves. Bake, uncovered, for 40 to 50 minutes or until hens are tender and no longer pink (170 degrees F in breast, 180 degrees F in thigh).
- Meanwhile, coat a small saucepan with nonstick spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, celery, green onion, and sage. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until mushrooms and celery are tender, stirring frequently.
- Squeeze pouch of rice to break up rice; open pouch. Measure 1 cup of rice and add to mushroom mixture (reserve remaining rice for another use). Cook and stir rice mixture about 2 minutes or until heated through. Serve with hen halves. If desired, garnish with fresh thyme sprigs.
Nutrition Facts (Cornish Game Hens with Quick Rice Pilaf)
- Per serving:
- 287 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 111 mg chol.,
- 245 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 29 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet