Cornish Game Hens with Port Sauce
1 1/2 pounds Cornish game hens
tablespoon olive oil
recipe Port Sauce (see recipe below)
- If desired before roasting, slit hens in half. Using kitchen shears, cut out backbone. Lay hens open and use kitchen shears or a large kitchen knife to cut through the breast bone, just off center. Twist wings under backs. On a rack in large shallow roasting pan, place hens, cut side down. (Or roast hens whole, breast side up.) Brush with oil.
- Roast halved hens, uncovered, in a 375 degree F oven for 55 to 60 minutes; roast whole hens for 1 to 11/4 hours or until drumsticks move easily in sockets and juices run clear.
- While hens roast, prepare Port Sauce. Brush hens with sauce during the last 10 to 15 minutes of roasting. Final internal temperature should be 180 degree F. Makes 4 servings.
cup orange juice
cup port wine
cup blackberry spreadable fruit
tablespoons sherry vinegar
tablespoons minced shallot or chopped onion
teaspoons grated fresh ginger
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
tablespoons cold water
- In a small saucepan, combine orange juice; the 1/3 cup water; the port wine; blackberry spreadable fruit; sherry vinegar; shallot; ginger; garlic; thyme; bouillon granules; cayenne pepper (if desired); and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 7 minutes to reduce to 1 cup. Strain sauce; return to pan. Stir the 2 tablespoons cold water into the cornstarch. Add to sauce. Cook and stir until bubbly. Serve immediately or cover and chill for up to 2 days. In a small saucepan, reheat sauce over low heat.
Nutrition Facts(Cornish Game Hens with Port Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 473 kcal cal.,
- 26 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 120 mg chol.,
- 150 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 36 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet