- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 medium carrot, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium russet potato, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium parsnip or turnip, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 Cornish game hen or poussin (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Fresh rosemary or sage leaves (optional)
- Pear-shaped cherry tomatoes (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degree F. In a large bowl, combine carrot, potato, parsnip or turnip, and onion. Add oil and balsamic vinegar; toss to lightly coat. Spread in a 9x9x2-inch baking pan; cover with foil. Roast for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degree F.
2. Meanwhile, gently separate the skin from the hen breast and tops of drumsticks by easing a paring knife or your fingers between the skin and the meat to make 2 pockets that extend all the way down to the neck cavity and over the drumsticks. In a small bowl, combine garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Set aside 1 teaspoon of the fresh rosemary mixture (1/2 teaspoon if using dried rosemary). Rub remaining rosemary mixture under the skin onto the breast and drumsticks. Using 100 percent-cotton string, tie drumsticks to tail; tie wing tips to body. Sprinkle the reserved rosemary mixture on the skin. Uncover vegetables. Add hen to baking pan.
3. Roast hen and vegetables, uncovered, for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until vegetables are tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thigh of the hen registers 180 degree F (the thermometer should not touch the bone), stirring vegetables once or twice. Remove string. Cover with foil; let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
4. If desired, garnish with fresh rosemary or sage leaves and tomatoes. To serve hen, use kitchen shears or a long heavy knife to carefully cut hen in half lengthwise. Remove skin and discard. Serve with vegetables. Makes 2 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 2,
- cal. (kcal) 345,
- Fat, total (g) 12,
- chol. (mg) 133,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 27,
- fiber (g) 5,
- pro. (g) 32,
- sodium (mg) 399,
- Vegetables () 1,
- Starch () 2,
- Lean Meat () 4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet