Cornish Game Hen with Roasted Root Vegetables
medium carrot, cut into large chunks
medium russet potato, cut into large chunks
medium parsnip or turnip, peeled and cut into large chunks
small onion, quartered
tablespoon olive oil
tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Cornish game hen or poussin (about 1-1/2 pounds)
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Fresh rosemary or sage leaves (optional)
Pear-shaped cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F. In a large bowl, combine carrot, potato, parsnip or turnip, and onion. Add oil and balsamic vinegar; toss to lightly coat. Spread in a 9x9x2-inch baking pan; cover with foil. Roast for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degree F.
- Meanwhile, gently separate the skin from the hen breast and tops of drumsticks by easing a paring knife or your fingers between the skin and the meat to make 2 pockets that extend all the way down to the neck cavity and over the drumsticks. In a small bowl, combine garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Set aside 1 teaspoon of the fresh rosemary mixture (1/2 teaspoon if using dried rosemary). Rub remaining rosemary mixture under the skin onto the breast and drumsticks. Using 100 percent-cotton string, tie drumsticks to tail; tie wing tips to body. Sprinkle the reserved rosemary mixture on the skin. Uncover vegetables. Add hen to baking pan.
- Roast hen and vegetables, uncovered, for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until vegetables are tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thigh of the hen registers 180 degree F (the thermometer should not touch the bone), stirring vegetables once or twice. Remove string. Cover with foil; let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- If desired, garnish with fresh rosemary or sage leaves and tomatoes. To serve hen, use kitchen shears or a long heavy knife to carefully cut hen in half lengthwise. Remove skin and discard. Serve with vegetables. Makes 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Cornish Game Hen with Roasted Root Vegetables)
- Per serving:
- 345 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 133 mg chol.,
- 399 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 32 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet