Spicy Melon Skewers
recipe Chile Syrup, recipe below
cups papaya or cantaloupe chunks or balls
cups honeydew melon chunks or balls
cups seeded watermelon chunks or balls
10 inches bamboo skewers
ounces thinly sliced prosciutto (6 slices)
tablespoon packed brown sugar
teaspoon ground cumin
- Prepare Chile Syrup. Place papaya, honeydew, and watermelon in large self-sealing plastic bag. Pour in Chile Syrup. Seal; turn to coat. Marinate in refrigerator 2 to 4 hours, turning bag occasionally. Drain papaya and melon, reserving syrup. Thread papayas and melon pieces on skewers.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Arrange prosciutto, cut in thin strips, in single layer on large baking sheet. Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to paper towels; cool.
- In bowl combine brown sugar, the 1 teaspoon ground chile pepper, the paprika, cumin, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle skewered papaya and melon with spice mixture, prosciutto, and cilantro. Drizzle Chile Syrup. Serve with any remaining spice mixture and syrup. Makes 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Hot: 1 tsp. ground ancho chile pepper Hotter: 1 tsp. ground pasilla chile pepper Hottest: 1 tsp. ground cayenne chile pepper
- In small saucepan bring water; sugar; and ancho, pasilla, or cayenne chile pepper to boiling. Stir to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat; cool.
Nutrition Facts(Spicy Melon Skewers)
- Per serving:
- 171 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 249 mg sodium,
- 34 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 32 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet