Minted Fruit Compote
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Add enough water to juice to equal 2 cups.
- For syrup, in a small saucepan, combine the reserved 2 cups juice mixture, sugar, and mint. Bring mixture just to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour mixture through a strainer; discard mint. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large serving bowl, combine pineapple, grapefruit peel, grapefruit slices, the 2 tablespoons orange peel, orange slices, and kiwifruit slices. Pour the strained syrup over fruit. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- To serve, gently stir pomegranate seeds into fruit mixture. If desired, garnish with orange peel strips. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To remove pomegranate seeds, cut the fruit in half just through the skin. Remove the peel and break the fruit into sections. Then use your fingers or a small spoon to separate the seeds from the membrane. Discard the skin and membrane. Handle the fruit in a bowl filled with water; this allows the seeds to float to the top, and the juice won't discolor your hands.
Nutrition Facts (Minted Fruit Compote)
- Per serving:
- 98 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 2 mg sodium,
- 25 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet