Fruit Coffee Cake
- For filling, in a medium saucepan combine fruit and the water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer (do not simmer raspberries), covered, about 5 minutes or until fruit is tender. Combine the 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch; stir into fruit. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more; set filling aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl combine the 1-1/2 cups flour, the 3/4 cup sugar, the baking powder, and baking soda. Cut in the 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In another bowl combine egg, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Spread half of the batter into an ungreased 8x8x2-inch baking pan. Spoon and gently spread filling over batter. Drop remaining batter in small mounds onto filling.
- In a small bowl stir together the 1/4 cup flour and the 1/4 cup sugar. Cut in the 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over coffee cake. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Double the recipe and use a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
Prepare as directed, except substitute 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cut-up rhubarb and 3/4 cup frozen unsweetened whole strawberries for fruit. Continue as directed.
Nutrition Facts(Fruit Coffee Cake)
- Per serving:
- 298 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 44 mg chol.,
- 126 mg sodium,
- 52 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 31 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet