Fruit and Cheese Cocktail Cookies
- For Savory Fruit Filling, in a food processor combine figs and cranberries. Process until finely chopped but not pureed. Transfer to a medium heavy nonreactive saucepan. Stir in honey and 3 tablespoons water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture just comes to a boil. Cook and stir 1 mnute more. Cool completely; set aside.
- For Cheese Cocktail Cookies, in a food processor combine butter, blue cheese, cheddar, egg, sugar, and baking powder. Cover and process until very well blended, about 1 1/2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add 1 cup of the flour. Cover and pulse until partially incorporated.
- Turn mixture onto waxed paper. Fully knead in remaining 1/2 cup flour. If dough is very soft, knead in up to 3 tablespoons more flour; if still soft, let stand to firm up for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Using greased hands, stretch and shape each half into an evenly thick 8-inch log. Roll each log in plastic wrap; twist ends to close. Freeze at least 45 minutes or until just firm enough to cut neatly.
- Position a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 350 degrees F. Line large baking sheets with parchment; set aside.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut each log crosswise into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Place slices about 1 1/2 inches apart on baking sheets. If desired, sprinkle with a few grains of coarse salt or seeds, gently pressing into dough.
- Bake one baking sheet at a time for 11 to 15 minutes or until edges are light brown. Transfer to wire rack; let cool 2 minutes to firm up. Using a wide spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack. Cool completely.
- To assemble, stir Savory Fruit Filling. If mixture seems dry or crumbly, add a few teaspoon of warm water until spreadable. Spread about 2 teaspoons on each of 30 cookies. Top with another cookie, pressing down until fruit is just spread out to edges. Serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
Store cookies, baked and unfilled, in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
Store filling, covered and refrigerated, in a nonreactive container up to 2 days.
Freeze cookies, baked and unfilled, up to 1 month; thaw before serving.
For Cheese Cocktail Cookies, pack dough logs in freezer bags; freeze up to 3 months. Let frozen logs soften at room temperature about 15 minutes before slicing. Bring Savory Fruit Filling to room temperature before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Fruit and Cheese Cocktail Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 97 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 19 mg chol.,
- 76 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet