- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- Savory Fruit Filling
- 1 cup trimmed and coarsely chopped calimyrna figs
- 1 cup choppped fresh (or thawed frozen) cranberries
- 1/4 cup clover honey or other mild honey
- Cheese Cocktail Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks and slightly softened
- 4 ounces blue cheese, cut into chunks and slightly softened
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose white flour
- Red, pink, or white coars-crystal sea salt, or poppy or sesame seeds (optional)
1. For Savory Fruit Filling, in a food processor combine figs and cranberries. Process until finely chopped but not pureed. Transfer to a medium heavy nonreactive saucepan. Stir in honey and 3 tablespoons water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture just comes to a boil. Cook and stir 1 mnute more. Cool completely; set aside.
2. For Cheese Cocktail Cookies, in a food processor combine butter, blue cheese, cheddar, egg, sugar, and baking powder. Cover and process until very well blended, about 1 1/2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add 1 cup of the flour. Cover and pulse until partially incorporated.
3. Turn mixture onto waxed paper. Fully knead in remaining 1/2 cup flour. If dough is very soft, knead in up to 3 tablespoons more flour; if still soft, let stand to firm up for 5 minutes.
4. Divide dough in half. Using greased hands, stretch and shape each half into an evenly thick 8-inch log. Roll each log in plastic wrap; twist ends to close. Freeze at least 45 minutes or until just firm enough to cut neatly.
5. Position a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 350 degrees F. Line large baking sheets with parchment; set aside.
6. Using a very sharp knife, cut each log crosswise into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Place slices about 1 1/2 inches apart on baking sheets. If desired, sprinkle with a few grains of coarse salt or seeds, gently pressing into dough.
7. Bake one baking sheet at a time for 11 to 15 minutes or until edges are light brown. Transfer to wire rack; let cool 2 minutes to firm up. Using a wide spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack. Cool completely.
8. To assemble, stir Savory Fruit Filling. If mixture seems dry or crumbly, add a few teaspoon of warm water until spreadable. Spread about 2 teaspoons on each of 30 cookies. Top with another cookie, pressing down until fruit is just spread out to edges. Serve immediately.
- Store cookies, baked and unfilled, in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
- Store filling, covered and refrigerated, in a nonreactive container up to 2 days.
- Freeze cookies, baked and unfilled, up to 1 month; thaw before serving.
- For Cheese Cocktail Cookies, pack dough logs in freezer bags; freeze up to 3 months. Let frozen logs soften at room temperature about 15 minutes before slicing. Bring Savory Fruit Filling to room temperature before serving.
- Servings Per Recipe 30,
- cal. (kcal) 97,
- Fat, total (g) 5,
- chol. (mg) 19,
- sat. fat (g) 3,
- carb. (g) 11,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 1,
- fiber (g) 1,
- sugar (g) 5,
- pro. (g) 2,
- vit. A (IU) 146,
- vit. C (mg) 1,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 0,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 16,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0,
- sodium (mg) 76,
- Potassium (mg) 60,
- calcium (mg) 50,
- iron (mg) 1,
- Mark as Free Exchange () 0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet