Red Velvet Cake
tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ounce bottle red food coloring (2 Tbsp.)
teaspoons baking soda
recipe Buttercream Frosting
- Let eggs and butter stand 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour three 8 x 1-1/2-inch round baking pans; set aside.
- In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, and the salt; set aside. In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium-high 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until combined. One at a time, add eggs; beat on medium after each. Beat in food coloring on low.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to egg mixture; beat on low-medium after each just until combined. Stir together baking soda and vinegar. Add to batter; beat just until combined.
- Spread in prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until pick inserted near centers comes out clean (cakes may appear marbled). Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool.
- Prepare Buttercream Frosting. Place layer flat side up on plate. Spread top with 3/4 cup frosting. Stack layer, flat side up; spread top with 3/4 cup frosting. Stack final layer, flat side down; spread remaining frosting on top and sides. Makes 16 servings.
cups whole milk
cups softened butter
- In medium saucepan whisk together milk, flour, and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Transfer to small bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cooled (do not stir). In large bowl beat butter, sugar, and vanilla on medium 5 minutes until light and fluffy and sugar is almost dissolved. Add cooled milk mixture, 1/4 cup at a time; beat on low after each until smooth.
Nutrition Facts(Red Velvet Cake)
- Per serving:
- 546 kcal cal.,
- 28 g fat
- (17 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 112 mg chol.,
- 467 mg sodium,
- 69 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 50 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet