Applesauce Cake with Browned Butter Frosting
- Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat margarine or butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds or until softened. Add sugar; beat until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Alternately add flour mixture and applesauce, beating on low to medium speed after each addition just until combined. Stir in raisins and walnuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Frost with Browned Butter Frosting. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Bake cake, cool completely, and freeze (without frosting) up to 1 month. Thaw and frost cake before serving.
Browned Butter Frosting
- In a small saucepan heat margarine or butter over low heat until melted; continue heating until margarine or butter turns a delicate brown. Remove from heat; pour into large mixing bowl. Add powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on medium to high speed, adding additional milk, if necessary, to make frosting of a spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Applesauce Cake with Browned Butter Frosting)
- Per serving:
- 572 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 36 mg chol.,
- 354 mg sodium,
- 98 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet