- In a small bowl combine eggs and the 1 teaspoon soy sauce. Set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet heat the 1 teaspoon sesame oil over medium heat. Add garlic and egg mixture; stir gently to scramble. When set, remove egg mixture from the wok. Roll up cooked eggs and slice. Remove wok from heat.
- Pour the 1 tablespoon cooking oil into the wok. (Add more oil as needed during cooking.) Return to medium-high heat. Stir-fry celery in hot oil for 1 minute. Add mushrooms; stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add rice, carrot, and peas. Sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Cook and stir for 4 to 6 minutes or until heated through. Add cooked egg mixture and green onions; cook and stir about 1 minute more or until heated through.
From the Test Kitchen
Shrimp Fried Rice:
Add 12 ounces peeled and deveined fully cooked shrimp when adding the rice. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
Tofu Fried Rice:
Add 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, cut into 3/4-inch cubes, when adding the rice. Makes 4 main-dish servings. Per serving for shrimp and tofu variations: 286 cal., 10 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 272 mg chol., 818 mg sodium, 26 g carb., 3 g fiber, 26 g pro.
Nutrition Facts (Fried Rice)
- Per serving:
- 141 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 71 mg chol.,
- 418 mg sodium,
- 18 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet