Fried Pickled Peppers
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with paper towels or a wire cooling rack. In a medium bowl combine pickled peppers and buttermilk, stirring to coat. In a plastic bag combine flour, cornmeal, and pepper.
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan heat 2 inches oil to 375 degrees F.
- Place a handful of peppers in flour mixture and shake to coat. Remove peppers, shaking off excess flour mixture. Using a slotted spoon, add peppers to hot oil. Fry 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp and golden. Transfer with slotted spoon to prepared baking sheet. Keep warm in preheated oven while frying remaining peppers. Serve with Ginger Aioli.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 3/4 cup sour milk, place 2 tsp. lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 3/4 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand 5 minutes before using
- In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, ginger, lime juice, and salt until combined. Gradually whisk in oil. Stir in green onion. Makes 2/3 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Fried Pickled Peppers)
- Per serving:
- 428 kcal cal.,
- 28 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 11 g monounsatured fat),
- 6 mg chol.,
- 817 mg sodium,
- 39 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet