- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 35 mins
- Bake: 1 hr 10 mins 375°F
Fresh Pear and Cranberry Pie
recipe Pastry for Deep-Dish Pie
cups sliced unpeeled red and/or green ripe pears (7 to 8 medium)
cup fresh cranberries
tablespoons apple cider or water
teaspoon ground nutmeg
tablespoons caramel-flavor ice cream topping
Caramel-flavor ice cream topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for Deep-Dish Pie. On a lightly floured surface, slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a 13-inch circle. Wrap pastry circle around rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge high to keep filling from bubbling over. Do not prick pastry.
- Arrange 4 cups of the pears in the pastry-lined pie plate; sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cranberries. Top with remaining pears. In a small bowl stir together the 1/4 cup sugar, the cornstarch, cider, and nutmeg; drizzle evenly over pears. Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes more or until pastry is golden and filling is bubbly. Place on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine remaining 1/2 cup cranberries and the 2 tablespoons caramel topping. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, for 1 minute.
- Spoon cranberry mixture over hot pie; cool slightly. If desired, drizzle warm pie with additional caramel topping.
Pastry for Deep-Dish Pie
cups all-purpose flour
tablespoons cold water
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Shape into a ball.
Nutrition Facts (Fresh Pear and Cranberry Pie)
- 357 kcal cal.;
- 13 g Fat, total;
- 3 g sat. fat;
- 59 g carb.;
- 6 g fiber;
- 28 g sugar;
- 1 g pro.;
- 242 mg Potassium;
- 20 mg calcium;
- 729 IU vit. A;
- 8 mg vit. C;
- 1 mg iron;
- 93 mg sodium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet