- In a small bowl combine eggs, the water, salt, and pepper. Using a fork, beat until combined, but not frothy. Heat an 8-inch nonstick skillet with flared sides over medium-high heat until skillet is hot.
- Melt butter in skillet. Add egg mixture to skillet; reduce heat to medium. Immediately begin stirring the eggs gently but continuously with a wooden or plastic spatula until mixture resembles small pieces of cooked egg surrounded by liquid egg. Stop stirring. Cook for 30 to 60 seconds more or until egg is set and shiny.
- With a spatula, lift and fold an edge of the omelet about a third of the way toward the center. Fold the opposite omelet edge toward the center; transfer to a warm plate. If making more than one omelet, cover each with foil to keep it warm while preparing more.
From the Test Kitchen
Filled French Omelet:
Before preparing omelet, prepare desired filling as follows. For one omelet, if cooking fresh vegetables, such as chopped or sliced mushrooms, onion, sweet pepper, or potatoes (about 1/3 to 1/2 cup), use 1 teaspoon butter or vegetable oil in an 8-inch skillet. If desired, add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon snipped fresh herb or 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon dried herb to filling or egg mixture. If desired, sprinkle with 2 to 3 tablespoons shredded cheese. Spoon filling across the center of the omelet before folding as directed in Step 3. If desired, sprinkle top of omelet with additional cheese.
Prepare as directed, except substitute 2 egg whites for one of the whole eggs.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 216 cal., 17 g total fat (8 g sat. fat), 244mg chol., 559 mg sodium, 1 g carbo., 0 g dietary fiber, 14 g pro.
For filling, in the 8-inch skillet cook 1/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms in 1 teaspoon butter until tender. Remove from skillet; keep warm. Prepare omelet as directed, spooning mushrooms across the center of the omelet before folding as directed in Step 3.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 300 cal., 27 g total fat (11 g sat. fat), 466mg chol., 548 mg sodium, 2 g carbo., 0 g dietary fiber, 14 g pro.
Prepare as directed, except omit salt. In Step 3, sprinkle 1/4 cup shredded cheddar, Swiss, or Monterey Jack cheese across center of omelet for filling.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 359 cal., 20 g protein, 1 g carb., 30 g total fat (16 g sat. fat), 432 mg chol., 0 g fiber, 1 g total sugar, 24% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 420 mg sodium, 26% calcium, 11% iron
For filling, in the 8-inch skillet cook 2 tablespoons chopped green sweet pepper, 2 tablespoons chopped onion, and 1/8 teaspoon dried basil, crushed, in 2 teaspoons butter until tender. Stir in 1/4 cup finely chopped cooked ham. Remove from skillet; keep warm. Prepare omelet as directed, spooning filling across the center of the omelet before folding as directed in Step 3.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 380 calories, 19 g protein, 5 g carb., 32 g total fat (16 g sat. fat), 442 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 2 g total sugar, 24% Vitamin A, 30% Vitamin C, 1044 mg sodium, 8% calcium, 13% iron
Nutrition Facts (French Omelet)
- Per serving:
- 245 kcal ,
- 21 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 403 mg chol. ,
- 535 mg sodium ,
- 1 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 13 g pro.