Fragrant Garam Masala Chicken Stew with Peas and Potatoes
Nonstick cooking spray
large skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
ounces red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (4 small or 2 medium)
medium onion, thinly sliced
teaspoons grated fresh ginger
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon ground black pepper
14 1/2 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
8 ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
cup frozen peas
cup plain fat-free yogurt
teaspoons garam masala
- Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs, meaty sides down; cook about 6 minutes or until brown on both sides, turning once.
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine potatoes, onion, ginger, and garlic. Top with chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour broth and tomato sauce over all.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 1/2 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 3/4 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn cooker to high-heat setting. Stir in peas, yogurt, and garam masala. Cover and cook for 15 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts(Fragrant Garam Masala Chicken Stew with Peas and Potatoes )
- Per serving:
- 239 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 95 mg chol.,
- 510 mg sodium,
- 20 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 28 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet