Fork-Tender Pot Roast
pounds boneless beef chuck pot roast
tablespoon olive oil
stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
cup coarsely chopped carrots (2 medium)
cup coarsely chopped onion (1 large)
clove garlic, minced
cup beef broth
cup dry red wine
tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca, crushed
tablespoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
tablespoon tomato paste
teaspoon garlic powder
teaspoon ground black pepper
teaspoon dry mustard
Hot mashed potatoes (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit into a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. In a large skillet cook meat in hot oil over medium-high heat until brown on all sides. Drain off fat.
- In the cooker combine celery, carrots, onion, bay leaf, and garlic. Top with meat. In a small bowl combine broth, wine, tapioca, Italian seasoning, tomato paste, garlic powder, pepper, dry mustard, paprika, and salt. Pour mixture over meat.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer meat and vegetables to a serving platter. Remove and discard bay leaf from cooking liquid; skim off fat. Drizzle cooking liquid over meat and vegetables. If desired, serve with mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Facts(Fork-Tender Pot Roast)
- Per serving:
- 322 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 83 mg chol.,
- 349 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 43 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet