Focaccia with Cherries, Fennel, and Orange
- In a 2-cup glass measuring cup stir together the warm water, 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, the yeast, and honey; let stand about 5 minutes or until mixture is foamy.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl whisk together 2-1/2 cups of the flour, the cornmeal, orange peel, fennel seeds, and salt. Make a well in the flour mixture and slowly pour in the yeast mixture; stir until dough starts to hold together in a ball.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased large bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position. Lightly grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Transfer dough to prepared pan. Using your hands, gently pat dough to fit the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with cherries; lightly press in with your fingers. Firmly press fingertips into dough to make little dimples all over the surface (indentations should remain). Cover and let rise for 20 minutes more.
- Drizzle dough with the remaining 3 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with the turbinado sugar. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until crust is browned and crisp. Cool slightly in pan on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.
From the Test Kitchen
*To Toast Seeds:
To toast fennel seeds, in a small dry skillet cook fennel seeds over medium heat about 5 minutes or until aromatic, stirring frequently.
Nutrition Facts (Focaccia with Cherries, Fennel, and Orange)
- Per serving:
- 177 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 151 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 10 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet