Nonstick cooking spray
envelopes envelopes unflavored geletain (one, 1-oz. package)
cups granulated sugar
cup light-color corn syrup
cup purchased syrup, such as salted caramel or peppermint
Desired gel food coloring
- Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving paper handging over sides. Coat parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- To a very large mixing bowl add gelatin. Pour water over to cover completely; stir to combine.
- In a large saucepan combine the granulated sugar, corn syrup, flavored syrup, and salt over medium heat; stirring until sugar is completely melted. Bring sugar mixture to boiling over medium-high heat; attach a candy thermometer to saucepan. Boil 1 to 2 minutes more or until thermometer registers 240 degrees F.
- With mixer set to medium speed, pour sugar syrup down side of mixing bowl into gelatin mixture. Increase speed to high; mix 5 minutes until marshmallow mixture is white and fluffy and bowl is cool to touch, about 122 degrees F.
- Using a rubber spatula, transfer marshmallow mixture to prepared pan; spread evenly. Add drops of food coloring to mixture, about 2 inches apart. Using a table knife, swirl in coloring. Chill, uncovered, about 4 hours or overnight
- Remove from refrigerator. Sift powdered sugar over marshmallow. Turn out onto cutting board; remove any attached paper. Sift powdered sugar over other side. Using a sharp knife coated with powdered sugar (to prevent sticking), cut marshmallow into squares. Place additional powdered sugar in a small bowl; dredge squares. Place additional powdered sugar in a small bowl; dredge squares to coat. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container up to 2 weeks. Makes 117 one-inch marshmallows.
From the Test Kitchen
If using a hand-held mixer, place a wet cloth underneath the bowl so it doesn't slide on the counter top.
Nutrition Facts(Flavored Marshmallows)
- Per serving:
- 35 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 10 mg sodium,
- 9 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 0 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet