Flautas de Pollo
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet cook onion, chile peppers, and garlic in 1 tablespoon hot oil over medium heat for 4 minutes or until onion and peppers are soft. Add chicken, oregano, cumin, salt, cinnamon, and cloves; mix well. Set aside.
- Wrap tortillas in foil and heat in the oven for 10 minutes to soften. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
- Remove tortillas from oven. Working one at a time, fill each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture. Roll up tightly and secure with wooden picks.
- In a large skillet heat 1 inch vegetable oil over medium heat to 365 degrees F. Fry filled tortillas, three or four at a time, for 3 minutes or until crisp and golden brown, turning once. Remove flautas from oil, being careful to drain oil out of the ends. Drain on paper towels. Transfer cooked flautas to a baking sheet and keep warm in the 300 degrees F oven while frying remaining flautas.
- Remove wooden picks from flautas. If desired, serve flautas with fresh salsa, crema, and/or guacamole for dipping.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Flautas de Pollo)
- Per serving:
- 332 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 37 mg chol.,
- 465 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet