- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cream of tartar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add milk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until mixture is moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for four to six strokes or just until dough holds together. Pat or lightly roll dough until 3/4 inch thick. Cut dough with a floured 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter; reroll scraps as necessary and dip cutter into flour between cuts.
- Place dough circles 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until golden. Remove biscuits from baking sheet and serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
If baking powder or cream of tartar appears lumpy, sift through a fine-mesh sieve before using.
Prepare as above through Step 1, except increase the milk to 1-1/4 cups. Using a large spoon, drop dough into 12 mounds onto a greased baking sheet. Bake as directed above. Makes 12 biscuits.
Prepare as above, except for rolled dough biscuits substitute 1-1/4 cups buttermilk or sour milk for the 1 cup milk. For drop biscuits substitute 1-1/2 cups buttermilk or sour milk for the 1-1/4 cups milk.
Nutrition Facts (Flaky Biscuits)
- Per serving:
- 231 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 32 mg chol. ,
- 375 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.