Five-Spice Pork Sandwiches
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit into a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Place meat in cooker. In a small bowl combine apple cider, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and Homemade Five-Spice Powder. Pour over meat in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5-1/2 to 6 hours.
- Transfer meat to a cutting board, reserving cooking juices in cooker; cool meat slightly. Remove meat from bones. Using two forks, shred meat, discarding fat. Place meat in a medium bowl.
- To serve, arrange meat and, if desired, cabbage in buns. If desired, strain reserved cooking juices; skim off fat. Serve cooking juices in individual serving bowls for dipping.
From the Test Kitchen
Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your pork is finished cooking, remove from your slow cooker as directed above and dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Homemade Five-Spice Powder
- In a blender combine cinnamon, anise, fennel seeds, pepper, and cloves. Cover and blend to a fine powder. Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature. Makes about 1/3 cup.
Nutrition Facts(Five-Spice Pork Sandwiches )
- Per serving:
- 297 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 68 mg chol.,
- 653 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 26 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet