Five-Spice Pork Sandwiches
2 1/2 pound pork shoulder blade roast
cup apple cider or apple juice
tablespoons soy sauce
tablespoons hoisin sauce
teaspoons Homemade Five-Spice Powder or five-spice powder
whole grain hamburger buns or kaiser rolls, split and toasted
cups shredded napa cabbage or packaged shredded broccoli (broccoli slaw mix) (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit into a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Place meat in cooker. In a small bowl combine apple cider, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and Homemade Five-Spice Powder. Pour over meat in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5-1/2 to 6 hours.
- Transfer meat to a cutting board, reserving cooking juices in cooker; cool meat slightly. Remove meat from bones. Using two forks, shred meat, discarding fat. Place meat in a medium bowl.
- To serve, arrange meat and, if desired, cabbage in buns. If desired, strain reserved cooking juices; skim off fat. Serve cooking juices in individual serving bowls for dipping.
Homemade Five-Spice Powder
tablespoons ground cinnamon
star anise or 2 teaspoons anise seeds
teaspoons fennel seeds
teaspoons whole Szechwan pepper or whole black pepper
teaspoon ground cloves
- In a blender combine cinnamon, anise, fennel seeds, pepper, and cloves. Cover and blend to a fine powder. Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature. Makes about 1/3 cup.
Nutrition Facts(Five-Spice Pork Sandwiches )
- Per serving:
- 297 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 68 mg chol.,
- 653 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 26 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet