cup granulated sugar
cup packed brown sugar
teaspoon baking soda
recipe Fig Filling
recipe Lemon Glaze or powdered sugar
- In a medium bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, and baking soda. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover; chill about 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a floured pastry cloth, roll half of the dough into a 10x8-inch rectangle. Cut rectangle into two 10x4-inch strips. Spread one-fourth of the Fig Filling lengthwise down the middle of each strip. Using the pastry cloth, lift up one long side of each dough strip and fold it over the filling. Lift up opposite side and fold it to enclose filling; seal edges. Place filled strips, seam sides down, on an ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and Fig Filling.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown. Immediately slice each strip diagonally into 1-inch pieces. Transfer to a wire rack; cool. Drizzle cookies with Lemon Glaze or dust with powdered sugar.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer unglazed cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
cup dried figs, stems removed, chopped
cup raisins, finely chopped
cup orange juice
cup diced candied fruits and peels, finely chopped
teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
teaspoon ground cinnamon
cup blanched almonds, finely chopped
- In a small saucepan combine figs, raisins, orange juice, candied fruits and peels, sugar, lemon peel, and cinnamon. Bring just to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes or until fruit is soft and mixture is thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in almonds. Cool to room temperature.
cups sifted confectioners sugar
teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Beat together 2 cups sifted confectioners sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt until well blended and smooth.
Nutrition Facts(Fig Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 102 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 13 mg chol.,
- 38 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet