Figs, citrus, and almonds, all native to Sicily, often find their way into the island's traditional Christmastime treats. Be sure to use butter, not margarine, as butter allows the dough to hold its shape better.
- Yields: about 36 cookies
- Prep: 45 mins
- Chill: 3 hrs
- Bake: 10 mins 375° per batch
- In a medium bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, and baking soda. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover; chill about 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a floured pastry cloth, roll half of the dough into a 10x8-inch rectangle. Cut rectangle into two 10x4-inch strips. Spread one-fourth of the Fig Filling lengthwise down the middle of each strip. Using the pastry cloth, lift up one long side of each dough strip and fold it over the filling. Lift up opposite side and fold it to enclose filling; seal edges. Place filled strips, seam sides down, on an ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and Fig Filling.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown. Immediately slice each strip diagonally into 1-inch pieces. Transfer to a wire rack; cool. Drizzle cookies with Lemon Glaze or dust with powdered sugar.
Layer unglazed cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- In a small saucepan combine figs, raisins, orange juice, candied fruits and peels, sugar, lemon peel, and cinnamon. Bring just to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes or until fruit is soft and mixture is thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in almonds. Cool to room temperature.
- Beat together 2 cups sifted confectioners sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt until well blended and smooth.
- Per serving:
- 102 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 13 mg chol.,
- 38 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet