Fig and Pear Cobbler with Cornmeal-Amaretti Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place amaretti cookies in a food processor. Cover and process until finely ground. Add flour, cornmeal, the 2 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder, and salt; cover and pulse with on/off turns to combine. Add butter; cover and pulse with on/off turns until pieces are the size of small peas. In a large bowl combine butter mixture and the 1-1/4 cups whipping cream, stirring with a fork until the dough comes together. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface; knead gently two or three times until it holds together. Press dough into a 12x8-inch rectangle, about 1/2-inch thick. Cut dough into eight small rectangles or eight 3-inch circles, rerolling as necessary.
- In a 3-quart rectangular baking dish combine figs and pears. Place the 3/4 cup sugar in a small bowl; add the finely shredded orange peel and use your fingers to rub the peel into the sugar until it becomes fragrant. Stir in cinnamon, coriander, and kosher salt. Pour sugar mixture over fig mixture; gently toss with your hands to combine. In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons of orange juice and the cornstarch, stirring until smooth. Stir in port and the remaining orange juice; pour evenly over fruit mixture in baking dish.
- Place dough pieces on top of the fruit mixture; brush with the 2 tablespoons whipping cream. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until topper is browned and juices are bubbly around the edges. If necessary to prevent overbrowning, cover loosely with foil for the last 10 to 20 minutes of baking. Remove foil, if using. Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve warm. If desired, serve with vanilla ice cream.
Nutrition Facts (Fig and Pear Cobbler with Cornmeal-Amaretti Biscuits)
- Per serving:
- 689 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 72 mg chol.,
- 381 mg sodium,
- 101 g carb.,
- 10 g fiber,
- 56 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet