- Preheat broiler. Carve or pull meat from chicken. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds; measure 2 1/2 cups shredded chicken. (Save any remaining chicken for another use.)
- On a large baking sheet combine tomatillos, onion, jalapeno peppers, and garlic. Broil about 3 inches from the heat about 14 minutes or until vegetables are tender and peppers are charred, turning once. Cool slightly. Using a sharp knife, peel as much skin from the peppers as possible; halve and seed peppers.* Core tomatillos. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F; adjust oven rack to center of oven.
- In a blender combine broiled vegetables, tomatoes, and the 3/4 cup cilantro. Cover and blend until smooth. Add Mexican crema, flour, and salt. Cover and blend just until smooth.
- In a medium bowl combine the 2 1/2 cups shredded chicken and 1/2 cup of the tomato mixture. Spread about 1/2 cup of the remaining tomato mixture in the bottom of an ungreased 3-quart rectangular baking dish.
- Wash and dry baking sheet; place tortillas on baking sheet. Brush both sides of tortillas lightly with oil. Bake for 2 to 3 minutes or just until softened. Remove from oven. Stack tortillas and wrap in foil to keep warm.
- Removing one tortilla at a time, divide chicken mixture among tortillas, spreading evenly. Roll up tortillas. Arrange filled tortillas, seam sides down, in the prepared baking dish. Pour the remaining tomato mixture over filled tortillas. Top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 25 minutes or until heated through and cheese starts to brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with additional cilantro sprigs.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Enchiladas Suizas)
- Per serving:
- 212 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 57 mg chol.,
- 357 mg sodium,
- 16 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 13 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet