Spinach and Bacon Quiche
No time to make your own pastry? Use a rolled refrigerated, unbaked pie crust instead to speed up the preparation time for this delicious breakfast pie.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 57 mins 450/325 degrees F
- Stand: 10 mins
- Prepare and roll out Pastry for Single-Crust Pie. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the pastry. Trim; crimp edges as desired. Line the unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes more or until pastry is set and dry. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook onion and bacon until onion is tender and bacon is crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- In a bowl stir together eggs, sour cream, half-and-half, salt, pepper, and, if desired, nutmeg. Stir in onion mixture, spinach, and cheeses.
- Pour egg mixture into the hot, baked pastry shell. Bake in the 325 degree F overn for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. If necessary, cover edge of crust with foil to prevent overbrowning. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with cherry tomatoes.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings
Prepare as above, except omit the bacon. Cook the onion in 1 tablespoon butter or margarine. Stir into egg mixture with spinach and cheeses.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 449 cal., 32 g total fat (13 g sat., fat), 321g chol., 437mg sodium, 23 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 18 g pro.
Daily Values: 43% vit. A, 9% vit. C, 24% calcium, 16% iron
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 1.5 Medium-Fat Meat, 5 Fat
- Per serving:
- 478 kcal cal.,
- 33 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat,
- 323 mg chol.,
- 550 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 21 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet