Spicy Sicilian Strata
Not just for breakfast, this hearty egg and pepperoni custard is fabulous for a weeknight dinner. Add sausage in place of the pepperoni for an entirely new taste.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 35 mins
- Chill: 2 hrs
- Bake: 35 mins 350°F
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place bread cubes in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, stirring once.
- Spread half of the bread cubes in a greased 2-quart square baking dish. Top with half of the pepperoni, half of the pepperoncini peppers, all of the spinach, and all of the tomatoes. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the Italian-blend cheeses. Repeat layers with remaining bread, pepperoni, pepperoncini peppers, and Italian-blend cheese.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, Italian seasoning, cayenne pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; pour evenly over layers in dish. Press bread cubes down with a wooden spoon. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until the internal temperature registers 170F on an instant-read thermometer. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
Prepare as above, except substitute 4 ounces chorizo sausage, cooked and crumbled, for pepperoni; one 4.5-ounce can diced green chile peppers, drained, for pepperoncini peppers; and Mexican-blend cheese for Italian-blend cheese. Omit Italian seasoning. Substitute crumbled queso fresco or additional Mexican-blend cheese for Parmesan cheese.
- Per serving:
- 316 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 146 mg chol.,
- 1006 mg sodium,
- 22 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 18 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet