- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half, light cream, or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch powdered saffron
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups frozen loose-pack diced hash brown potatoes with onions and peppers
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives or 2 tablespoons snipped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat oven to 450 degree F. Grease an 8x8x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs; half-and-half, cream, or milk; salt; pepper; and saffron. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat until butter is melted. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook for 1 minute. Stir in potatoes. Cover and cook over medium-low heat about 10 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned and tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in chives or parsley.
3. Spread potato mixture evenly into prepared baking pan. Pour egg mixture evenly over potato mixture, pressing down lightly with the back of a spoon to completely cover potatoes. Bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until set and top is golden (center may puff during baking, but will fall during standing time). Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 1-inch squares. Serve warm. Makes about 4 dozen squares.
- Bake and cut omelet bites as directed; place on an oven-safe platter or baking sheet. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Reheat, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven about 10 minutes or until heated through.