- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large skillet, cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat until onion is tender.
- Meanwhile, grease a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Spread half of the tortillas in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the cheese and 1 can of the chile peppers. Sprinkle with onion mixture. Top with the remaining tortillas, cheese, and chile peppers.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, salt, black pepper, cumin, and oregano. Pour evenly over ingredients in dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or until center is set and edges are lightly browned. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. If desired, top with salsa. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
To make 2 cups sour milk, place 2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 2 cups total liquid; stir. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes before using.
Nutrition Facts (Chilaquile Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 284 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 133 mg chol.,
- 507 mg sodium,
- 25 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet