- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
large onion, chopped (1 cup)
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoon vegetable oil
6-inch corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch pieces
cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (8 ounces)
4-ounce cans diced green chile peppers, undrained
eggs, lightly beaten
cups buttermilk or sour milk*
teaspoon ground black pepper
teaspoon ground cumin
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
Refrigerated prepared salsa (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large skillet, cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat until onion is tender.
2. Meanwhile, grease a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Spread half of the tortillas in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the cheese and 1 can of the chile peppers. Sprinkle with onion mixture. Top with the remaining tortillas, cheese, and chile peppers.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, salt, black pepper, cumin, and oregano. Pour evenly over ingredients in dish.
4. Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or until center is set and edges are lightly browned. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. If desired, top with salsa. Makes 8 servings.
*Test Kitchen Tip: To make 2 cups sour milk, place 2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 2 cups total liquid; stir. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes before using.
- Servings Per Recipe 8 servings
- Total Fat (g)15
- Saturated Fat (g)7,
- Monounsaturated Fat (g)4,
- Polyunsaturated Fat (g)2,
- Cholesterol (mg)133,
- Sodium (mg)507,
- Carbohydrate (g)25,
- Total Sugar (g)5,
- Fiber (g)4,
- Protein (g)15,
- Vitamin C (DV%)19,
- Calcium (DV%)36,
- Iron (DV%)8,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet