Light, airy, and beautifully golden, this souffle main dish tastes even better when made with a combination of cheeses.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 50 mins
- Bake: 40 mins 350°F
- Allow the egg yolks and egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- For cheese sauce, in a medium saucepan melt butter; stir in flour, dry mustard, and cayenne pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Add cheese, a little at a time, stirring until melted. In a medium bowl beat egg yolks with a fork until combined. Slowly add cheese sauce to egg yolks, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold about 1 cup of the stiffly beaten egg whites into cheese sauce.
- Gradually pour cheese sauce over remaining stiffly beaten egg whites, folding to combine. Pour into an ungreased 2-quart souffle dish.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Cheese Souffle)
- Per serving:
- 466 kcal cal.,
- 37 g fat
- (20 g sat. fat,
- 301 mg chol.,
- 530 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 23 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet