- Makes: 4 servings
- Yields: 4 (main-dish) servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 15 mins 450°F
- Stand: 5 mins
Casserole-Style Chiles Rellenos
large poblano peppers or green sweet peppers (8 ounces)
cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers (4 ounces)
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon ground red pepper
cup shredded cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
cup picante sauce
cup dairy sour cream
- Quarter the peppers and remove stems, seeds, and veins. Immerse peppers into boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain. Invert on paper towels to drain well. Place half the peppers in a well-greased 1-1/2-quart casserole. Top with half of the shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine eggs and milk. Add flour, baking powder, red pepper, and salt. Beat until smooth. Pour egg mixture over peppers.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 450 degree F oven for 15 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with the shredded cheddar cheese. Let stand about 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve with picante sauce and sour cream. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts (Casserole-Style Chiles Rellenos)
- Per serving:
- 352 kcal cal.,
- 24 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat,
- 215 mg chol.,
- 891 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 20 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet