- Makes: 10 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Cool: 2 hrs 15 mins
- Bake: 1 hr 15 mins 350°F
Banana Caramel Custard
teaspoon ground cinnamon
ripe but firm bananas, sliced 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place rack in center of oven.
- In a heavy 10-inch skillet heat 1/2 cup of the sugar over medium-high heat until sugar begins to melt, shaking the skillet occasionally for even melting. Do not stir. When sugar starts to melt, reduce heat to low; cook about 5 minutes more or until all sugar is melted and golden brown, stirring with a wooden spoon. Immediately pour caramelized sugar into a 10-cup souffle dish*; tilt to coat the entire bottom of the dish.
- In a large bowl whisk together the remaining 1 cup sugar, the eggnog, eggs, vanilla, and salt until well combined. Pour eggnog mixture into the prepared souffle dish. Place dish in a large, deep roasting pan. Place roasting pan on rack in oven. Pour boiling water into the roasting pan around dish to a depth of 2 inches.
- Bake in the preheated oven about 1-1/4 hours or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean (custard will not appear set when gently shaken). Cool custard in roasting pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove dish from roasting pan. Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours. Cover and chill overnight or for up to 2 days.
- Just before serving, run a thin metal spatula or sharp knife around edges of custard in dish. Invert a serving plate over dish; turn dish and plate over together. Remove dish. Set custard aside.
- In a large skillet melt butter. Stir in cinnamon. Add banana slices. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until golden, turning slices once halfway through cooking. Arrange bananas over custard on serving plate. Spoon some of the caramel sauce over the bananas.
From the Test Kitchen
Briefly warm the souffle dish in the oven so the caramel mixture spreads over the bottom more easily.
Nutrition Facts (Banana Caramel Custard)
- Per serving:
- 296 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 178 mg chol.,
- 129 mg sodium,
- 44 g carb.,
- 38 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet