Apple, Bacon, and Leek Bread Pudding
1 pound loaf herbed country bread or other crusty country bread cut into 3/4-inch cubes
8 ounce package sliced fresh mushrooms
large leeks, white and tender green parts only, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
cloves garlic, minced
Granny Smith apples (1 lb.) or pears, cored and cut into wedges
eggs, lightly beaten
ounces aged provolone cheese, shredded
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place bread cubes in two 15x10x1-inch baking pans or shallow roasting pans. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until crisp, rotating and stirring once. Set aside.
- Heat a very large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp; drain bacon on paper towels, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon; set aside. Add mushrooms to skillet; cook about 7 minutes or until just brown. Stir in leeks and garlic; cook until just tender. Add apples; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until apples begin to soften. Remove from heat; add crumbled bacon and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- In a 4-quart casserole or Dutch oven combine eggs, milk, cheese, salt, pepper, bread cubes, and the leek mixture; toss well. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator. Let stand 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake, covered, for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers 170 degrees F. Let stand 20 minutes before serving. Makes 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Apple, Bacon, and Leek Bread Pudding)
- Per serving:
- 380 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 144 mg chol.,
- 923 mg sodium,
- 35 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 11 g sugar,
- 21 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet