Almond Flan with Golden Caramel
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. To caramelize sugar, in a large heavy skillet heat the 1 cup sugar over medium-high heat until it begins to melt, shaking the skillet occasionally; do not stir. When the sugar starts to melt, reduce heat to low and cook about 5 minutes or until all of the sugar melts and is golden, stirring as needed with a wooden spoon. Immediately pour caramelized sugar into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate;* tilt pie plate to coat the bottom. Set aside.
- In a blender combine sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, eggs, egg yolks, the 1/4 cup sugar, the almond paste, vanilla, and salt. Cover and blend until well mixed and smooth. Skim off any foam.
- Pour egg mixture into pie plate. Place pie plate in a roasting pan; set on oven rack. Pour boiling water into roasting pan around pie plate to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake about 50 minutes or until a 3-inch area around outside edge appears set when gently shaken (center will set as mixture cools). Carefully remove pie plate from water. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Cover and chill for 6 to 24 hours.
- Using a sharp knife, loosen flan from side of pie plate. Invert a serving plate with a lip over pie plate; turn plates over together. Remove pie plate.
From the Test Kitchen
Briefly warm the pie plate in the oven so the caramel spreads over the bottom more easily.
Nutrition Facts (Almond Flan with Golden Caramel)
- Per serving:
- 419 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 213 mg chol.,
- 157 mg sodium,
- 66 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 65 g sugar,
- 11 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet