Make a trip to the garden or fresh outdoor market for a basketful of vegetables and herbs to make this summer pizza recipe.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Grill: 9 mins
medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
small yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise
small red sweet pepper, halved lengthwise
tablespoons olive oil
teaspoon black pepper
large ripe tomato, seeded and chopped
cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
tablespoons purchased pesto
tablespoon snipped fresh basil
tablespoon snipped fresh oregano
6 inches flour tortillas
cup shredded mozarella or smoked provolone cheese
- Brush zucchini, yellow squash, and red pepper halves with olive oil. Sprinkle with black pepper and salt. Preheat gas grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place vegetables on the grill rack directly over heat. Cover and grill for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, turning once halfway through grilling. Remove from grill; cool slightly.
- Chop the grilled vegetables. In a medium bowl combine chopped vegetables, tomato, mayonnaise, pesto, basil, and oregano. Place tortillas on the grill rack directly over heat. Cover and grill for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly toasted on one side. Turn tortillas over and spread the vegetable mixture over the toasted sides of tortillas. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Cover and grill for 2 to 3 minutes more or until tortillas are lightly toasted, vegetables are just heated, and cheese begins to melt. Carefully remove from grill. To serve, cut into quarters. Makes 8 servings.
- To use a charcoal grill, prepare vegetables as above. Grill directly over medium coals for 6 to 8 minutes, turning once. Prepare topping as above. Grill tortillas directly over medium coals for 1 to 2 minutes. Turn, spread with vegetable mixture, and grill 2 to 3 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts (Vegetable Pizzas)
- Per serving:
- 201 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 13 mg chol.,
- 342 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet