- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 3 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese (12 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded Emmentaler, Gruyere, or Swiss cheese (8 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons kirsch or dry sherry
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Dippers: French bread or rye bread, cut into 1-inch cubes and toasted,** precooked broccoli or cauliflower florets or bias-sliced carrots.
1. Bring shredded cheeses to room temperature. Toss with flour; set aside.
2. Heat wine in a large saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles rise to the surface. Just before wine boils, reduce heat to low and stir in the cheese mixture, a little at a time, stirring constantly, and make sure the cheese is melted before adding more. Stir until mixture bubbles gently.
3. Stir in milk, kirsch or sherry, nutmeg, and pepper. Transfer cheese mixture to a fondue pot. Keep mixture bubbling gently over a fondue burner. Serve with dippers. If mixture becomes too thick, stir in a little warm milk. Serves 12.
- To toast bread cubes, place the cubes on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350 degree F oven 5 to 7 minutes or until the bread cubes are crisp and toasted.
- Servings Per Recipe 12,
- cal. (kcal) 222,
- Fat, total (g) 14,
- chol. (mg) 18,
- sat. fat (g) 19,
- carb. (g) 3,
- pro. (g) 14,
- vit. A (RE) 103,
- sodium (mg) 149,
- calcium (mg) 40,
- iron (mg) 0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet