Homemade stirred custard and fresh fruit makes a fitting dessert to end just about any type of meal. To ensure velvety smooth custard, stir the egg mixture constantly with a figure-eight motion to ensure even cooking and to prevent sticking and burning.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Serving Size: 8
- Prep: 15 mins
- In a heavy medium saucepan use a wooden spoon to stir together egg yolks, milk, and sugar.
- Cook and stir continuously with the wooden spoon over medium heat until mixture just coats the back of a clean metal spoon. Remove pan from heat. Stir in vanilla.
- Quickly cook custard by placing saucepan in a large bowl of ice water for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour custard mixture into a bowl. Cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Chill at least 2 hours or until serving time. Do not stir. If desired, serve custard over fresh fruit. Makes about 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Stirred Custard)
- Per serving:
- 85 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 136 mg chol.,
- 27 mg sodium,
- 8 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet