Souffle Hoppin John
- Bring water to boiling in a medium saucepan. Add rice and salt. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- For sauce, melt butter or margarine in another medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, sweet pepper, and garlic; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add flour; cook and stir 1 minute more. Add milk, half-and-half, or light cream; cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from heat. Add salt, ground black pepper, and ground red pepper to taste.
- Place 1/4 cup of the sauce into a small bowl; stir in egg yolks. Stir egg yolk mixture into sauce in saucepan. Add rice, prosciutto or ham, and black-eyed peas.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form (peaks stand straight). Gently fold egg whites into black-eyed pea mixture in saucepan. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart square baking dish.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 20 minutes or until puffed and golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. To serve, sprinkle with parsley. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Refrigerate cooked rice and cooked or thawed black-eyed peas, covered, up to 2 days.
Nutrition Facts (Souffle Hoppin John)
- Per serving:
- 175 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 52 mg chol.,
- 353 mg sodium,
- 22 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet