- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 16 ounce frozen whole wheat or white bread dough
- 2 tablespoons yellow corn meal
- 3 medium red, yellow, and/or green sweet peppers, roasted*
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper or 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 medium red onion, cut into very thin wedges and separated into strips
- 6 ounces semisoft goat cheese (chevre) or feta cheese, crumbled or cut up (1-1/2 cups)
- 10 ripe olives, pitted and quartered lengthwise
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (1-1/2 cups)
- 3 - 4 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves or snipped fresh basil
1. Thaw bread dough. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into eight pieces. Cover; let dough rest for 10 minutes. Pat or roll each piece into a 6-inch circle. Grease two extra-large baking sheets; sprinkle with cornmeal. Transfer dough circles to baking sheets. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 5 minutes. Remove baking sheets from the oven; place on wire racks to cool, leaving the dough on the baking sheets.
2. Meanwhile, cut roasted peppers into 1-inch-wide strips. Stir together oil and red pepper. Brush the mixture onto the baked circles. Top with roasted peppers, onion, goat or feta cheese, olives, and tomatoes. Sprinkle with the shredded mozzarella.
3. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until mozzarella is golden brown and crusts are crisp. Before serving, sprinkle with fresh oregano or basil. Makes 8 main-dish servings.
- Halve peppers; remove stems, membranes, and seeds. Place peppers, cut side down, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until skin is bubbly and brown. Wrap in the foil; seal and let stand for 20 to 30 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Using a paring knife, gently pull off skin.
- You can substitute 1 tablespoon dried oregano or basil, crushed, for the fresh herbs. Instead of sprinkling it on top of the pizzas, stir the dried herb into the oil mixture before brushing it onto the crust.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 343,
- Fat, total (g) 17,
- chol. (mg) 26,
- sat. fat (g) 7,
- carb. (g) 35,
- fiber (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 16,
- vit. A (RE) 546,
- vit. C (mg) 73,
- sodium (mg) 523,
- calcium (mg) 162,
- iron (mg) 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet