Mexican Breakfast Tortillas
Instead of taking the kids out for a fast food breakfast, whip up these scrambled egg-and-sausage quesadillas. They can be ready in 30 minutes.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Bake: 8 mins to 10 mins 350°F
- With a sharp, small knife, cut each sausage link down the middle lengthwise, ending up with 2 long pieces. In an 8-inch skillet cook halved sausage links over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until brown, turning often with tongs. Remove pan from heat. With tongs, carefully remove sausages from pan. Drain on layers of paper towels.
- Combine the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add the salt and pepper. With a wire whisk or fork, beat the mixture until yolks and whites are combined. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add margarine or butter to the same skillet used to cook the sausages. Cook over medium heat until margarine or butter is melted and bubbly.
- Slowly pour egg mixture into the skillet. Cook 1 minute without stirring. Cook 4 minutes more or until eggs are firm but still moist and shiny, stirring often. Remove pan from heat.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet. Lay tortillas out flat on the baking sheet. Spoon some of the eggs onto half of each tortilla. Place two cooked sausage halves on top of the eggs on each tortilla. Top each with cheese. Fold the empty half of the tortilla over filling. Stick a toothpick through the top of each tortilla to keep the tortilla from flapping open while baking.
- Bake in the preheated 350 degree F. oven for 8 to 10 minutes until the cheese is melted. Cut each filled tortilla into quarters (for easier eating). Remove toothpicks. Serve with salsa and avocado slices, if you like. Makes 4 servings.
To crack the eggs, tap each whole egg gently with a table knife around the middle until it starts to crack. Working over a small bowl, pull the eggshell halves apart and let the egg fall into the bowl. Use a spoon to remove any pieces of eggshell that may have fallen into the bowl. Transfer the egg to the large mixing bowl. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- 360 kcal cal.;
- 23 g Fat, total;
- 349 mg chol.;
- 19 g carb.;
- 1 g fiber;
- 20 g pro.;
- 476 mg sodium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet