Cheese Crisps with Creme Fraiche and Caviar
These tiny lacy cups are simply melted cheese. Not just any cheese, though. The success of these distinctive nibbles is a result of using high quality, authentic Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Makes: 24 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 3 mins to 4 mins 400°F per batch
- Stand: 24 hrs
- In a small saucepan heat whipping cream over low heat until warm (90 degree F to 100 degree F). Pour into a small clean jar. Stir in buttermilk, screw on jar lid, and let the mixture stand at room temperature for 24 to 30 hours or until thickened. Do not stir. Store, covered, in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
- Place a mounded tablespoon of cheese onto a nonstick cookie sheet; pat into a 2-inch circle. Repeat with remaining cheese, allowing 2 inches between circles. Bake one cookie sheet at a time in a 400 degree F oven for 3-1/2 to 4 minutes or until bubbly and lightly golden. Cool on cookie sheet about 1 minute. Remove with a spatula and gently drape over inverted 1-3/4-inch muffin tins to cool and stiffen into cup shapes.
- To serve, invert cheese crisps onto serving platter and top each with a rounded tablespoon of creme fraiche and a rounded 1/4 teaspoon caviar. Serve immediately. Makes about 24 appetizers.
Refrigerate cheese crisps in an airtight container for up to 8 hours.
- 68 kcal cal.;
- 5 g Fat, total;
- 27 mg chol.;
- 2 g sat. fat;
- 1 g carb.;
- 0 g fiber;
- 4 g pro.;
- 141 mg sodium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet