- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 8 slices whole wheat bread or whole grain white bread
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach or torn fresh kale
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 ounces Canadian-style bacon (about 7 slices), cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 2/3 cups fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 - 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- Fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
1. Place bread slices in a single layer on wire racks; cover loosely with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel and let stand for 8 to 12 hours or until dried. (Or preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place bread slices in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan; bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until dried, turning once.) Tear slices into large pieces.
2. In an extra-large nonstick skillet cook spinach in hot oil over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes or just until wilted, turning frequently with tongs. (If using kale, cook for 6 to 8 minutes or just until tender.) Coarsely chop spinach or kale.
3. Lightly grease a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Arrange half of the bread pieces in the prepared baking dish. Add spinach and Canadian bacon. Top with the remaining bread pieces.
4. In a medium bowl beat together eggs, egg whites, 1/4 cup sour cream, flour, dry mustard, lemon peel, and pepper. Stir in 1 2/3 cups milk until combined. Pour evenly over the layers in dish. Using the back of a large spoon, gently press down on layers. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake strata, uncovered, for 55 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
6. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small bowl stir together 1/3 cup sour cream and Dijon mustard. Stir in enough of the 1 to 2 tablespoons milk to reach drizzling consistency. Drizzle sauce over strata. If desired, garnish with thyme.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 241,
- Fat, total (g) 9,
- chol. (mg) 158,
- sat. fat (g) 3,
- carb. (g) 23,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 4,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1,
- fiber (g) 3,
- sugar (g) 6,
- pro. (g) 17,
- vit. A (IU) 3110,
- vit. C (mg) 9,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 1,
- Niacin (mg) 2,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 101,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1,
- sodium (mg) 521,
- Potassium (mg) 521,
- calcium (mg) 202,
- iron (mg) 3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet