Eggs Benedict Strata
slices whole wheat bread or whole grain white bread
cups fresh baby spinach or torn fresh kale
teaspoons canola oil
ounces Canadian-style bacon (about 7 slices), cut into bite-size pieces
cup light sour cream
teaspoon dry mustard
teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
teaspoon ground black pepper
cups fat-free milk
cup light sour cream
teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
tablespoons fat-free milk
Fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
- Place bread slices in a single layer on wire racks; cover loosely with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel and let stand for 8 to 12 hours or until dried. (Or preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place bread slices in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan; bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until dried, turning once.) Tear slices into large pieces.
- In an extra-large nonstick skillet cook spinach in hot oil over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes or just until wilted, turning frequently with tongs. (If using kale, cook for 6 to 8 minutes or just until tender.) Coarsely chop spinach or kale.
- Lightly grease a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Arrange half of the bread pieces in the prepared baking dish. Add spinach and Canadian bacon. Top with the remaining bread pieces.
- In a medium bowl beat together eggs, egg whites, 1/4 cup sour cream, flour, dry mustard, lemon peel, and pepper. Stir in 1 2/3 cups milk until combined. Pour evenly over the layers in dish. Using the back of a large spoon, gently press down on layers. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake strata, uncovered, for 55 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small bowl stir together 1/3 cup sour cream and Dijon mustard. Stir in enough of the 1 to 2 tablespoons milk to reach drizzling consistency. Drizzle sauce over strata. If desired, garnish with thyme.
Nutrition Facts(Eggs Benedict Strata)
- Per serving:
- 241 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 158 mg chol.,
- 521 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 17 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet