Eggs and Greens Breakfast Pizza
ounces hot or sweet Italian sausage (remove casings if present)
7 inches Greek flatbread or pita bread rounds
cup pizza sauce or thick marinara sauce
cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 oz.)
cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz.)
cups torn arugula
tablespoon olive oil
teaspoon lemon juice
tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
teaspoon each salt and ground black pepper
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside. In a large skillet cook sausage over medium heat until brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat.
- Meanwhile, place flatbreads directly on oven rack. Bake for 4 to 6 minutes or until lightly toasted, turning once. Arrange flatbreads on the prepared baking sheet. Increase oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spread one-fourth of the pizza sauce over each flatbread. Sprinkle with mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, cooked sausage, and onion. Break an egg into a small dish*; make a small indentation in the center of one pizza and pour the egg into the indentation. Repeat with the remaining eggs and pizzas. Bake in the 450 degrees F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until egg whites are set and yolks begin to thicken.
- In a medium bowl toss together arugula, oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle arugula mixture with Parmesan cheese; serve with pizzas.
From the Test Kitchen
* This is in case the yolk breaks when you crack the egg. If it does, start over with another egg.
Nutrition Facts(Eggs and Greens Breakfast Pizza)
- Per serving:
- 593 kcal cal.,
- 30 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 14 g monounsatured fat),
- 250 mg chol.,
- 1122 mg sodium,
- 45 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 30 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet