Eggplant and Beef Casserole
teaspoon black pepper
pounds eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
tablespoons vegetable oil
pound lean ground beef
large green sweet pepper, chopped (1 cup)
medium onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
15 ounce can tomato sauce
8 ounce can tomato sauce
teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
cups shredded Italian-blend cheese (8 ounces)
- Grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside. In a small bowl combine milk and egg. In a shallow dish combine flour, salt, and black pepper.
- Dip eggplant slices into egg mixture; coat with flour mixture. In a 12-inch skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add several of the eggplant slices; cook about 4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices, adding more oil if necessary. Drain on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet cook ground beef, sweet pepper, and onion until meat is brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks; drain off fat. Stir the two cans of tomato sauce and the Italian seasoning into meat mixture.
- Layer half of the eggplant slices in the prepared baking dish, cutting slices to fit. Spread with half of the meat mixture; sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat layers. Cover dish with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts(Eggplant and Beef Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 340 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 84 mg chol.,
- 796 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 22 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet