cloves garlic, halved
teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Seasoned salt or salt
Ground white pepper or black pepper
cup grated Romano, Asiago, or Parmesan cheese
tablespoons butter, melted
Freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- In a covered large saucepan cook potatoes and garlic in enough lightly salted boiling water to cover for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain. Grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl with a potato masher mash potatoes and garlic or beat with an electric mixer on low speed. Add the 1/4 cup butter and the 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg. Season to taste with seasoned salt and white pepper. Gradually beat in enough milk to make mixture light and fluffy. Cool slightly. Beat in eggs and cheese with an electric mixer on low speed.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Using a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip pipe potatoes into eight mounds on prepared baking pan. (Or spoon eight mounds onto baking pan.)
- Drizzle mounds with the 2 tablespoons melted butter. If desired, sprinkle with additional nutmeg. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed through Step 3. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill for up to 4 hours. Drizzle with the 2 tablespoons melted butter. Bake about 20 minutes or until light brown and heated through.
Nutrition Facts(Duchess Potatoes)
- Per serving:
- 216 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 81 mg chol.,
- 195 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet