- Makes: 16 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 45 mins 350°F
- Cool: At least 1 hr
Double Cherry Slab Pie
tablespoons granulated sugar
cup chilled butter, cut into chunks
cup ice water
cups frozen pitted tart red cherries (2 12-oz, packages)
cup dried tart red cherries
cup granulated sugar
cup corn flakes
teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, the 2 Tbsp. sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening and butter until pieces resemble small peas.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. of the ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss with a fork. Push moistened flour mixture to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 Tbsp. of water at a time, until flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Divide into 2 uneven balls; one ball should contain two-thirds of the pastry. Cover; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine frozen cherries, dried cherries, 1 cup granulated sugar, the cornflakes, and lemon peel. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place larger ball of pastry between two pieces of lightly floured waxed paper. Roll to a 17x12-inch rectangle. Remove top piece of waxed paper. Carefully invert pastry into a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Peel off waxed paper. Press pastry up sides of pan.
- Spoon filling evenly over pastry. Roll remaining pastry to a 16x11-inch rectangle between 2 pieces of lightly floured waxed paper. Remove top sheet of waxed paper. Using a 3-inch heart-shape cutter, cut hearts out of pastry; set aside. Invert pastry over filling. In a small bowl whisk together egg white and 1 Tbsp. water. Brush pastry with egg white mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
Nutrition Facts (Double Cherry Slab Pie)
- Per serving:
- 354 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 10 mg chol.,
- 276 mg sodium,
- 54 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 28 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet