- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef sirloin steak; cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 8 ounce package button and/or cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup lower-sodium beef broth
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 recipe Whole Wheat Bread Planks
1. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. If desired, in a large nonstick skillet cook and stir half of the meat over medium-high heat until brown. Drain off fat. Place meat in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Repeat with remaining meat.
2. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic to cooker. In a bowl stir together broth, wine, mustard, and dried thyme (if using). Pour mixture over meat in cooker.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
4. If using low-heat setting, turn cooker to high-heat setting. In a small bowl stir together butter and flour. Stir in 2 tablespoons cooking liquid to make a paste. Stir in fresh thyme, if using. Stir mixture into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high-heat setting about 30 minutes more or until mixture thickens.
5. Serve meat mixture with Whole Wheat Bread Planks. Sprinkle with fresh thyme.
- Serve a green, like Frenched green beans, along side this dish to add a fresh note to the meal.
Yield: 6 planks
- 6 1 inch thick slices whole wheat baguette-style French bread
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
1. Preheat broiler. Diagonally cut six 1-inch-thick slices from a loaf of whole wheat baguette-style French bread. Lightly brush some of olive oil over one side of each bread slice. Rub a cut-side of a garlic clove over the oil-brushed side of each slice. Place slices on a baking sheet. Broil slices, 4 to 5 inches from heat, for 1 to 2 minutes or until toasted, turning once. Carefully watch the bread as it can burn easily. Makes 6 planks.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 343,
- Fat, total (g) 11,
- chol. (mg) 66,
- sat. fat (g) 4,
- carb. (g) 23,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 5,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1,
- fiber (g) 4,
- sugar (g) 5,
- pro. (g) 33,
- vit. A (IU) 97,
- vit. C (mg) 5,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 1,
- Niacin (mg) 11,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1,
- Folate (µg) 44,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 3,
- sodium (mg) 681,
- Potassium (mg) 784,
- calcium (mg) 121,
- iron (mg) 4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet