Dijon Beef and Mushrooms
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. If desired, in a large nonstick skillet cook and stir half of the meat over medium-high heat until brown. Drain off fat. Place meat in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Repeat with remaining meat.
- Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic to cooker. In a bowl stir together broth, wine, mustard, and dried thyme (if using). Pour mixture over meat in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn cooker to high-heat setting. In a small bowl stir together butter and flour. Stir in 2 tablespoons cooking liquid to make a paste. Stir in fresh thyme, if using. Stir mixture into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high-heat setting about 30 minutes more or until mixture thickens.
- Serve meat mixture with Whole Wheat Bread Planks. Sprinkle with fresh thyme.
From the Test Kitchen
Serve a green, like Frenched green beans, along side this dish to add a fresh note to the meal.
Whole Wheat Bread Planks
- Preheat broiler. Diagonally cut six 1-inch-thick slices from a loaf of whole wheat baguette-style French bread. Lightly brush some of olive oil over one side of each bread slice. Rub a cut-side of a garlic clove over the oil-brushed side of each slice. Place slices on a baking sheet. Broil slices, 4 to 5 inches from heat, for 1 to 2 minutes or until toasted, turning once. Carefully watch the bread as it can burn easily. Makes 6 planks.
Nutrition Facts (Dijon Beef and Mushrooms)
- Per serving:
- 343 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 66 mg chol.,
- 681 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 33 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet