Devil's Food Cake
- Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and lightly flour two 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set pan(s) aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, the 1/2 cup cocoa powder, the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add granulated sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until combined. Scrape sides of bowl; beat for 2 minutes more. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and the water to shortening mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Spoon batter into the prepared pan(s), spreading evenly.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes for 9-inch pans or 13x9-inch pan or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center(s) comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove layers from pans; cool completely on wire racks. Or place 13x9-inch cake in pan on a wire rack; cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small heavy saucepan cook and stir chocolate pieces, whipping cream, 1 tablespoon butter, and corn syrup over medium-low heat until chocolate begins to melt. Cook for 2 minutes more. Cool to room temperature.
- For frosting, in a medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese, the 1/2 cup butter, and the 2 teaspoons vanilla on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar and the 1/3 cup cocoa powder, beating well. Gradually beat in the remaining 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar until smooth. If necessary, beat in enough milk to reach spreading consistency.
- Fill and frost cake layers with frosting or spread frosting over top of the 13x9-inch cake, reserving 1 cup of the frosting to make chocolate "drops." Place glaze in a heavy resealable plastic bag; snip a small hole in one corner of the bag. Pipe glaze in crisscross lines on top of cake. Spoon the reserved frosting into a decorating bag fitted with a round tip. Pipe chocolate "drops" around base or edges of cake. Store cakes, covered, in the refrigerator.
From the Test Kitchen
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line twenty-four to thirty 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. Prepare batter as directed. Spoon into the prepared muffin cups, filling each one-half to two-thirds full. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks. Spread cupcakes with frosting, reserving 1 cup of the frosting to make chocolate "drops." Pipe glaze in crisscross lines over frosted cupcakes; pipe chocolate "drops" of frosting around edges of cupcakes. Makes 24 to 30 cupcakes.
Nutrition per serving: 357 calories, 3 g protein, 54 g carbohydrate, 15 g total fat (7 g sat. fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 43 g total sugar, 7% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 189 mg sodium, 7% calcium, 7% iron
Nutrition Facts(Devil's Food Cake)
- Per serving:
- 707 kcal cal.,
- 29 g fat
- (15 g sat. fat,
- 107 mg chol.,
- 359 mg sodium,
- 107 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet