- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Chocolate Ganache
- Powdered sugar (optional)
1. Beat butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Stir cocoa powder into one portion of dough. Cover and chill dough halves in the refrigerator for 1 to 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
2. Preheat oven to 375F. Roll each dough half to 1/8-inch-thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out dough with a floured 2-1/2-inch fluted square cookie cutter, or cut dough into 2-1/2-inch squares using a fluted pastry wheel. Use an hors d'oeuvre cutter to cut a 1-inch square, diamond, circle, or flower shape from the centers of half of cutouts of each color. Place cutouts 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake in preheated oven about 8 minutes or until edges are set. Transfer cookies to wire racks and let cool.
4. Spoon about 1 teaspoon Chocolate Ganache in centers of bottom side of each cookie without a cutout. Top each white cookies with a chocolate cookie with cutout, bottom sides down; top each chocolate cookie with a white cookie with a cutout, bottom sides down. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Makes 30 cookies.
- For mini sandwich cookies, bake the center cutouts in the preheated 375F oven for 5 to 6 minutes. Cool cookies, then assemble by spreading ganache on half of the cookies and topping with remaining cookies to make sandwiches.
- Place unfilled cookies in layers separated by pieces of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw cookies, if frozen. Assemble cookies with ganache, as directed. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Yield: 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 4 ounces chopped high-quality bittersweet chocolate
1. Heat whipping cream in a small saucepan just until bubbles begin to form around edge. Stir in chopped high-quality bittersweet chocolate using a wire whisk until mixture is smooth. Cover and chill in the refrigerator about 30 minutes or until mixture mounds slightly.