Tangerine Cupcakes with Coconut Frosting
These treats are worthy of any Christmas celebration. Be sure to keep the batter chilled between batches to maintain the texture.
- Makes: 30 servings
- Cool: 10 mins to 15 mins
- Bake: 18 mins to 20 mins 350°F
- Line 30 muffin cups with paper bake cups. In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, egg yolks, buttermilk, the 1 teaspoon vanilla, and the cooking oil; set aside. In another bowl stir together cake flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat 3/4 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add granulated sugar and the peel. Alternately add flour mixture and egg-buttermilk mixture stopping to scrape bowl as needed. Add the thawed concentrate; mix until just combined.
- Fill prepared muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until cupcakes are golden brown and spring back when lightly pressed. (Cupcakes will dip slightly in centers). Cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting, in a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, the 6 tablespoons butter, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until combined. Gradually add powdered sugar; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with flaked coconut. Makes 30 cupcakes.
If you don't have 30 muffin cups, chill batter while your first batch of cupcakes bake. Wash pans; bake remaining batter as directed above.